Listening: Discussing folk songs
In chapter 5 there is a folk song on page 211 - "The Trimdon Grange Explosion".
Listen to a conversation between John and Richard about folk songs and the fascinating stories they tell.
- What does John dislike about the music his children listen to? Why does he like folk music?
- How does Richard explain the appeal of folk music lyrics?
- John recites a few lines from a folk song. What is it about? Is this a typical theme in folk music, according to Richard?
- Explain the lyrics of the song 'I wish, I wish'.
- Explain the lyrics of the song 'The Blackleg Miner'.
near the knuckle (informal) = approaching indecency
John, being old, is very dismissive of modern music. But perhaps that is his age talking. Write a letter to John telling him about the qualities you find in modern music. Do you have any examples of good songs, from any modern music genre, that also tell a story, just like folk music does?
Read your letters in class.
Discussing folk songs 6:29